Sometimes, you just want to make something nice and easy to eat. And what’s better than Pasta Salad?
It’s a simple recipe, really, and this is great to make in the summer for parties, potlucks, or if you want something yummy to fill you up. My mum would always make this for my sister and me when we were kids. We both still love it to this day.
ALL YOU NEED IS:
- One box of Rotini (regular or tri-coloured)
- One green pepper
- One red pepper
- half a bottle of Italian dressing (store-bought)
- Olive oil
- Pinch of Salt
1. Cut up your peppers into tiny pieces (maybe the size of your finger nail).
2. Fill up a pot of cold water and set on stove. Add a little bit of olive oil (you don’t need too much) and a pinch of salt.
3. Heat up water on high until it boils. Dump Rotini in and stir. Give it about 10 minutes to cook, or else test it. (ie. Throwing against wall or eating a piece of pasta)
4. When Rotini is cooked, strain water out with a colander. Put pasta in a bowl.
5. Add diced peppers on top of pasta.
6. Mix with a spoon, and then pour in half a bottle of Italian dressing. Continue to mix.
7. You can serve if you want, but this is best when chilled in the refrigerator for at least an hour or so.
Viola! Easy meal for lunch or dinner! Serve as a side with hot dogs and hamburgers in the summer. Pair it up with a pork dish, or eat this as it is. Did I mention I love taking this to work for the next day?
You can also add cut pieces of pepperoni to this recipe if you want to give it a kick. AND…you can substitute the store-bought dressing and make your own! I’ve used olive oil, salt, pepper and various spices to make my own dressing. Might have added a bit of rice vinegar and balsamic to flavour it. Homemade dressing with pasta salad is still darn delicious.
Throw in olives and fresh basil leaves on top if you’re feeling creative.